NII continuously looks for opportunities to help the community through programs that benefit families and children. We have provided support and helping hands to various organizations, including:
- Habitat for Humanity International (HFHI)
- Ronald McDonald House
- Reston Interfaith Inc.
- The International Red Cross
- The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF)
- World Education and Development Fund
NII also assists the community at large through coordinated participation in Inova Blood Drives, the Susan B. Komen Breast Race for the Cure, Southgate Community Initiative, Arlington Food Assistance Center, and the DC Help the Homeless Walk.
We are devoted to making a difference through company donations, sponsorships and dedicated employee participation. In 2006, NII was the recipient of the “Best of Reston Award” for outstanding community service.
When considering a sponsorship or activity, NII’s Social Responsibility Committee bases its decision on the following criteria:
- Organizations should be non-partisan, non-profit, non-religious and non-political charitable organizations with which NII would be proud to be associated.
- For NII Holdings, the charity should focus on the community where NII Holdings is located (Reston, Virginia and wider Washington, DC metropolitan area), or where their local market subsidiaries are located.
- The activity is an opportunity for personal development and encourages employee participation.
NII’s charitable work was recognized in The Washington Post on December 23, 2009 in an article by Steven Pearlstein entitled “Highlighting the corporations that stepped up to help the neediest in a rough 2009.”